Frequently Asked Questions
- What are camp hours? It vary's depending on the week. Jedi Beginnings AM session drop-off is is 9am with pickup at 12pm. The PM session drop-off is at 1pm and pickup is at 4pm. The rest of the weeks drop-off is at 9am with pick up at 3pm. If you need extended hours, please email Moira to inquire. We cannot guarantee extended hours, but will try our best to accommodate.
- Where is Camp Begin held? Glenwood Moravian Community Church. Address: 725 Gilmore Ave, Madison WI 53711. We are thrilled about this central location because it is within walking distance to Glenwood Park, the UW-Arboretum and Wingra Park.
- Will my child be with different age groups during the day? Yes, we group like ages to help structure learning. 4-7 year olds week 1, 8-11 year olds week 2 & 3 and 12-15 year olds week 4. If you have children close to the age groups that you'd like to enroll in other weeks, inquire.
- Are you a non-profit organization? No. Hike & Heal Wellness, LLC is a for-profit organization. Camp Beginnings is the summer day-camp of Hike & Heal Wellness.
- What will my child be doing most of the day? Campers will engage in a lot of play! As a Physical Education teacher, I know that kinesthetic (movement) learning builds memory cells inside our very own muscles. In addition, these memory cells are attached to synapses in our brains that build pathways and directly contribute to how we process and receive information. Your child(ren) will engage in outdoor play for the majority of the day through meaningful games and creative arts projects which promote the practices of mindfulness, yoga and leadership. This is taught age appropriately, going deeper into these practices with meaningful conversations as children age.
- Will my child only be practicing breathing and yoga poses? NO! Nature cultivates the concept of mindfulness authentically, and thus will be the vehicle for those conversations and teachable moments. Yoga will be learned through playful engagement, and yes sometimes kids will learn different breathing techniques to use at home in addition to yoga sequences that either energize or calm the body. Conversations about feelings and emotions are also extremely important ways we will be teaching leadership and mindfulness. We aim to teach the kids to learn about their own bodies and brains! All of these strategies and more will be taught with the intent to help regulate sleeping, mood, focus, behavior, and emotions among other benefits.
- I don't want any extra "stuff" coming home with my child. Can I donate yoga mats and camp t-shirts? Yes! In 2018, yoga mats are optional add-ons and will not be given to each camper. Campers can use our mats, buy their own elsewhere, ask a studio for one from their lost and found or purchase one at registration to keep. We will use extra mats and camp t-shirts at Midvale Elementary where Moira teaches Physical Education and we use the t-shirts as art smocks.
- Are you looking for volunteers? Yes! Specifically for the 8-11 year old week! Teachers looking to bring yoga, mindfulness and outdoor learning to their students benefit from learning content and having fun. Some volunteer while their child is at camp. We are also looking for peer mentors who are older than the camper group. Tell your teens to email Moira pronto to set-up a time to meet.